This is the blog of 7 girls chosen to live in the most ROCKING flat ever to grace the streets of London that fateful Fall of 2006. Now that we've graduated, this is the next best thing to weekly flat dinners. Please update early and often, and honorary flat members (you know who you are) can feel free to send updates to one of us and have those posted on here as well. GIT-'R'-DONE!

Friday, August 22, 2008

Houston, The Eagle Has Landed

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist the title, especially after Liz's brilliant one below.

At any rate, I've made it safe and sound to Houston and Rice University. The drive from Phoenix to Houston was long and flat which nearly drove me insane. However it was only a day and a half as opposed to three days for the trip from AZ to South Bend. The graduate apartments are extremely nice--I have my own bedroom, bathroom, and walk-in closet. They also provided me with a three shelf bookcase, a huge desk, a full-sized bed, wardrobe, and nightstand. It's so nice and though I still live under the shadows of rules and RA's, it's much better than the dorms. Also, it's just a short (free) shuttle ride and/or walk to campus.

This week has been one of orientations. You guys know the drill; they talked at us and fed us free food. They forced a little bit of mingling with people I'm sure I'll never see again and showed us the graduate bar--appropriately named Valhalla. It's a nice little campus surrounded by pretty river oaks. It has been raining here which has been a mixed blessing. On the one hand, it's cooler when it rains, but when it rains it pours. When the sun is out it's so humid I feel like I'm swimming when I walk around campus. So far I've been mostly in the English building of course, but I plan to explore other departments at random.

The library is nice, although of course not as grand as the Hesburgh. Still, it'll be a great area to study in. Classes start Monday and I've already met with my advisory committee to try to figure what the heck they're going to do with me. I haven't explored the city much other than food shopping for myself (for the first time in my life) but they tell me there are plenty of restaurants, bookstores, and free museums around.

Of course I still miss home and Notre Dame a lot more than I thought I would. I miss you guys of course, as I do all my friends. Still, I remain excited about what I'm doing here and I think it'll be good. I hope you guys are all doing well as you wrap up the summer and move into the first fall without the golden dome.

Lots of love and take care.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

You win the day for having a graduate bar called "Valhalla." In fact, Texas just got like 2% more cool in my mind. 'Grats.

Susan said...

Haha. Thanks Nikki? I do what I can. ;)