This is the blog of 7 girls chosen to live in the most ROCKING flat ever to grace the streets of London that fateful Fall of 2006. Now that we've graduated, this is the next best thing to weekly flat dinners. Please update early and often, and honorary flat members (you know who you are) can feel free to send updates to one of us and have those posted on here as well. GIT-'R'-DONE!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

After the Storm

So I've survived my first official hurricane here in Houston, Hurricane Ike. It really wasn't that bad--at least not where I live. There was no significant damage to my apartment building (a few tiles are still loose but that's about it) and though a tree did fall down, it got caught on a power line instead of taking any houses out. Thank goodness.

If anything, things are really annoying right now because power still has not been restored to most people's homes in this city. At home I have water and that's it. No lights and no ways to cook as my stove is electric. Fortunately they are feeding us free dinners until the electricity gets up and running. Still, it's annoying and I had to clean out the fridge, but it still stinks. I didn't realize how much I took just having power for granted. They're saying it could take until the end of this week for everything to be up and running.

Rice has power which is where I come every day to mooch for my computer and cell phone. During the storm I stayed with another first year grad student Heather as my apartments were mandatorily evacuated. The storm hit early Saturday morning and howled from about midnight until 6 am. I barely got any sleep, but by Saturday afternoon Ike had moved on. We took a walk to see the damage. It wasn't major, but man the canal near Heather's apartment was raging with water and there were trees and branches everywhere. I've also seen pictures of Galveston and it seems that they got hit so much harder than we did. I can't imagine.

Classes were cancelled on Monday (it's really hard and not all that romantic to read by candlelight I've discovered) and yesterday my only class was not held as a tree fell on my professor's house. Yikes. I suspect it'll be about a week before things are back to normal. Until then I'm trying to get as much work as I can done so that when power comes back on and supplies are in abundance at stores again I can run around and do errands.

It is annoying and inconvenient, but all things considered, things could have been a lot worse. I am glad to be safe and have access to everything I need. Thanks so much guys for your prayers and thoughts!

Take care!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boo for the inconveniences Ike has caused you, but I'm really glad that you were relatively unscathed. :-) I'm saying it now, I'm going to FREAK OUT when I have my first earthquake here, and it'll probably be a 1 or something on the Richter Scale, so kudos, my friend!

Susan said...

Yeah, two weeks without power is not something I would wish on anyone. Thankfully things seem to be back to normal by now.

Eh, you'll be okay. Just run for the doorpost or dive under a table! :)